Nov 10, 2014

Travel uniform

Twenty-three mosquito bites on my ankles alone, four on my face that now look like pimples, three on my fingers, plus who knows how many on my arms and legs... Between that and practically living at airports these past few days while on assignment in the hot hot hot tropics, I've completely neglected personal style and pretty much look like a dirtbag every day. Forget wearing makeup since I'll just sweat it off. After I got back from Hong Kong (much more on that to come), I just about unpacked one bag to repack another. I will say, I've gotten very efficient at light-packing. 9-10 days in a carry-on is no big deal anymore.



[Top / Jeans (similar) / Sneakers / Backpack / Luggage / Trench]

Even though it feels like 100 degrees outside (literally), I've been wearing some variation of the above for all the travel days. These Caribbean airports have some of the coldest AC I've ever experienced and the planes themselves are always extra-freezing. So besides the above, I carry a light sweater and a shawl that's big enough to be a blanket in my backpack. How it took me this long to become a casual-sneaker wearer is beyond me. I now live in two pairs of Nikes and feel like I'm walking on clouds in them. A day of errands and running around just seems so much more manageable now that I've given up trying to look cute in flats and other shoes.

It's been fun (minus the bites and plane delays) being on the road, but the thing I miss most is always my morning coffee ritual at home. For now, it's hotel pod coffee and bitter espresso, sigh.

16 comments :

  1. I'm always always looking for a way to style my Nikes casually, and you do it so effortlessly here! Beautiful. And we can trade lives for a bit...I'll do some traveling for you in exchange for non-mosquito bit ankles and home brewed coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After an ankle injury, I rediscovered the comfort of sneakers and I would never give them up again. Egyptian Magic works wonders on mosquito bites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've succumbed to my Nikes too whenever I travel even though I KNOW that husband doesn't prefer them on me! Speaking of bites, I had the exact same experience on our island holiday a month ago and looking at those bites were, frustrating! I so feel for you :( They will heal in no time xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally feel you on comfortable sneakers! you should totally invest in some new balance sneakers- they're the best.
    VISIT / 13 FRIDAYS

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you need some bug spray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. It's great to hear that somebody embraced the snickers. I always feel bad when I wear them, but they do feel so good.
    Maybe I will take them to my trip to Barcelona.
    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always suffer terribly from mozzie bites when I go to the tropics too, so I feel for you - we must have very sweet blood...Love the sneakers with the rest of the outfit. Contrary to what some believe, I think they actually look very cute - they're all over Pinterest at the moment, and I'm lusting after a pair of Stan Smiths...x

    Tamsin / A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've also only recently (in the past year) started wearing sneakers - they really are life changers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is that iPhone6 Plus? <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you just use that Everlane backpack with an insert for all your camera gear? I'm looking for a good camera bag for traveling.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it with domke wraps that I wrap my camera and lenses in. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Superb information about travel destination. I impressed from your info, Thanks to share with us..

    Resorts in Gujarat

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alice: Will you be releasing a 2015 calendar? I have the last two you've sold. Hoping you say "yes" but understand if not, with all the travel you've been doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! the top is a size small and the trench is an xs.

    ReplyDelete